Holidays + parties + house guests + overflowing amounts of food/drink + long car travels + out of the daily routine + plenty of movies to be watched =
A whole lot of body grogginess.
[Raise your hand if you're feeling it]
I can feel my mind tipping toward what I like to call 'calculation mode':
- "Starting tomorrow only salads until New Year's Eve!"
- "January 2nd I'll start with a clean slate."
- "If I do 5 hardcore workouts this week, it'll make up for the past two weeks!"
- "There's 3 weeks until my honeymoon on the beach, can I get in shape in that amount of time!?!"
But after years of thinking like that (especially around New Year's!) I know now what that does for me in the long run.
It takes me out of the current moment and backfires with bingeing/starving and over/under exercising cycles. All while increasing my anxiety with a constant feeling of chasing after something I can never achieve.
And it's not particularly motivating.
Can you relate?
I still have these thoughts, sometimes on the daily!
Here's the difference:
Instead of convincing myself to follow through with those things when the thoughts come up, now it clues me in to say to myself:
"Woooooooah, SLOW DOWN there sista!
How about we back up, take a deep breath, and ask the question that really wants to be answered:
What does my body truly need right NOW?"
Not on January 1st.
Or the tomorrow after tomorrow.
Not the master complex plan.
What do I need right here, right now?
For me, after I taken a long(ish) period of rest, my body is asking for movement.
Easing into it usually feels like the right thing to do.
Some simple moves that connect me to my breath and move my spine.
If that's you too, here are some sequences that can help:
- 3 moves you can do to strengthen your core and stretch your sides and back
- a simple lower body stretch sequence for early morning or before bed
- a series to strengthen and stabilize your core
If your body came up with a different answer, I'm curious... what did it say?
Can you gift yourself that today?
Comment below and tell me what your body is asking for and what you're going to do to give it that today!
With love and bringing your attention to the now,
PS - I'm looking for 8 more people to become founding members of the *brand new* Sparkes Wellness Library!
Is that you?!
The Library is great for you if you:
- want to focus on getting fit in 2017 in a way that feels holistic, balanced, and full of support
- have a tight schedule and want to find a way that you can get a good quality workout in at home
- want to have personal trainer-style training, but hiring a private trainer isn't in your budget this year
- want to be surrounded by a fabulous group of people who understand that losing weight is not the ONLY reason to exercise and are focused on overall health & wellness
- access to a full library of my workout videos, ranging from 30 min full body workouts to 5-15 min sequences focusing on balance, strength, flexibility, meditation, and more.
- brand new videos every month so you always stay interested and add variation into your workouts
- new calendars each month so you don't have to waste time wondering what to do next (you can print calendar's out OR fill them in online)
- a monthly video chat where our intimate group gets together to share and encourage each other on
If you're interested, click here to contact me and say "I'm interested!"
HIYA, I'M ELYSE!
I'm a personal trainer, fitness coach, and yoga teacher who gets people moving with in-person training and my signature online 21 day workout program. I want to help people drop the guilt/shame game around exercise and start working out with ease and kindness. When I'm not doing squats and sun salutations, I'm dressed up in vintage lindy hop dancing or gathering other Lovely Lady Entrepreneurs to talk about their careers and living their most passionate lives. Start moving with me today with these FREE stretch breaks you can do to feel more energized and aligned during your day! - stretchbreak.elysesparkes.com
Enter your name + email to get this 14 page printable Self-Kindness journal delivered to your inbox!