I agreed to teach for a week on an island off of New Hampshire without knowing exaaaactly what I was getting myself into.
I had been warned:
- only 3 (luke warm if you're lucky) showers per week
- it will be 'campy' - in all senses of the word
- wifi is iffy at best 9 miles off shore
(Rocky coast, seagulls, lighthouses, crashing waves... the epitome of New England-ness).
Non-showering aside, it was extremely magical.
I got to...
- teach daily yoga + swing dancing to energized and engaged students,
- watch dozens of dolphins come into the harbor,
- join in the Starlettes' synchronized swimming performance (in 60 degree ocean water, no less!),
- disconnect from the internet (except for a few instagrams about aforementioned magical-ness)
But what I really got was an immersion into the sense of STRONG COMMUNITY.
I met sisters, brothers, parents, grandparents, cousins, in-laws, kiddos... who had all been coming year after year to enjoy this sacred time together.
Yes, they come together on the island for fun and relaxation (family summer camp, if you will), but they also told me stories of coming together back at home when they need it most.
They help support each other when someone is sick, when someone else is in job transition, or when someone passes away.
By sharing this precious week together year after year, they create a strong, loving, welcoming, and supportive community.
Since I've gotten back to the "real" world, this sense of community feels imperative.
Among the hurricanes, wild fires, nuclear threats, white supremacy riots, and many other horrifying things happening all over the world, we need STRONG COMMUNITIES where we can get support, compassion, give + receive help, and come together to take inspired action individually and globally.
I want more STRONG COMMUNITIES in my life and I want to invite you to join in!
That's why I've designed this brand new in-person event series, Sculpt Your Future, where it's all about building strength in MOVEMENT, CREATIVITY, + CONNECTION.
Within each event, we'll build:
- physical strength with a movement class,
- internal strength through intentional journaling exercises, and
- strength within community by connecting deeply with the other passionate people in each workshop.
The first 6 week series starts here in NYC on Thursday, September 28th at Doing/Living Marketplace!
We'll dive into themes like:
- CONNECTION - tuning in to listen to your body's unique wisdom + get clear on what you want.
- HEART - defining what fulfillment means to you + determining your values.
- CHALLENGE - identifying your obstacles + learning the 'martial arts' way to handle them.
- PERSEVERANCE - "nevertheless she persisted", aka how consistency, grit, + going after it lead to MASSIVE change.
- ALIGNMENT - practicing coming back to center + how to be grounded amongst chaos.
- EXPANSION - finding strong stability in order to lengthen, grow, take action and move forward.
Join us to sweat out stress, spark creativity, and step into your best self for the rest of the year!
With love + building STRONG COMMUNITY,
PS - Not in the New York area?
Send this to someone who might like to join OR become part of our online membership community from anywhere in the world!
PPS - Banner photo by Robert Levine!
Enter your name + email to get this 14 page printable Self-Kindness journal delivered to your inbox!